Predictive Model and Web App
How to Persuade Like TED
A natural language processing project to reveal linguistic and psychological features that predict a persuasive TED Talk. I webscraped every TED Talk transcript and it's metadata through 2017 and then used decision trees, random forest regressors, and linear regression to find key predictors of persuasive ratings by viewers.
I found that the change in negative and positive emotion words across the talk and the speaker’s use of key social pronouns like “I” and “we” made a big impact on persuasive ratings.
My analyses resulted in important categories of words that make up a “linguistic signature” of persuasion and a classifier that you can use to predict the persuasiveness of your own text.
For professionals who need to communicate and influence others - TheodoreSpeaks.com is a data product that uses natural language processing techniques and statistical modeling to provide insights on how to speak to persuade.
Movie Recommender Web App
The Greatest Films of All Time
The greatest films of all time- a list compiled from multiple sources -analysis reveals which films are the best of the best (and the best for you).
- Combines 6 respected "greatest films of all time" lists to produce a List of Lists score (1-6) that can be joined with IMDB(0-10) star ratings to produce a great movie recommendation
Travel Web App
Travel app analyzes flight quotes to 42 global destinations to identify the best time to fly. A thesis project at MakerSquare that has already attracted paying customers. Our intelligent flight quote analyzer watches routes and fares to cities around the world to show you when prices are lowest in the next 12 months.
- Designed database, wrote schema, and implemented worker functions to populate tables from API calls
- Built full stack processes & components to reveal price trends and allow users to store alert preferences
- Designed UI by selecting, creating, and styling the visual elements of the single page application in React
Productivity Mobile Web App
Productivity app to improve focus and encourage deliberate practice of multiple skills
- Used MVC framework (Mithril) to build a simple, mobile-friendly web app in 36 hour hackathon
Off The Grid
Search app to locate nearby campgrounds and identify available amenities
- Implemented Google Maps API integration with React and deployed our app via Heroku